First Night St. Petersburg 2015 Highlights!
First Night St. Petersburg 2015 Celebrates 22 years
First Night is a family oriented New Year’s Eve Celebration of the Arts bringing music, art and entertainment to more than 25 venues in downtown St. Petersburg, FL. First Night St. Petersburg 2015 is on December 31, 2014 from 4-midnight and is presented by The Rowdies. Returning for its 22nd year, its Florida’s largest and most popular First Night celebration!
Participants can walk from venue to venue along St. Petersburg's busy, charming sidewalks and shops. Along the way, downtown boasts more than 100 restaurants and bars for patrons to enjoy throughout the evening.
The Festivities will begin with FirstKids from 4-7pm at the First United Methodist Church with hat and mask making, the Second Time Arounders Musical Petting Zoo and Chihuly Noisemakers with the Morean Arts Center. St Pete Makers will host an LED light making station and teach you how to add a simple LED light to your New Year’s Eve chapeau! There will be Puppet Shows from the St. Petersburg Library, Fire and Ice Shows and a Science Fun Station by Mad Science. FirstKids will finish with a colorful procession with Giant Sea Creature Puppets to the waterfront at 7:00pm led by the Mount Zion Drumline and Color Guard just in time for the Bubble Stomp and the First Fireworks at 8pm.
In Williams Park, Duke Energy presents Light Up Williams Park. The Warehouse Arts District Association (WADA), and the Central Arts District (CAD) Light Up the New Year with illuminated sculptural lanterns in the park. First Night goers will be able to participate in hands-on demos by WADA and CAD artists including Portrait Masters, make a Japanese Temari ornament, experience an interactive underwater mural, and create a life size sea creature! Take you photo as a giant Butterfly, participate in an Interactive Room Installation, try on a Giant Puppet and help decorate a Chinese Flying Dragon. While you are making art you can listen to edgy music on the Williams Park stage from the Venture Compound then plan to join the Dragon Procession to the Waterfront at 11pm to light the Fire Resolution Sculpture by James Oleson at 11:30 and watch the fireworks at midnight.
Come to the Shuffleboard Club for shuffleboard, Music and Literary fun from Keep St. Pete Lit, Blue Bird Book Bus, *NOMADstudio, and The Friends of Boyd Hill Nature Preserve. Help write a love letter to St. Pete, create colorful poems, and learn about Birds of Prey from the Friends of Boyd Hill.
Next door in the Sunshine Center Auditorium, A Simple Theater presents a production of The Tower. You can also enjoy performances by the Arts Conservatory for Teens.
Just down the street, an array of family-friendly activities and much fun is in store for First Night attendees at the Mirror Lake Community Library. Come join us for a Night at the Library when storybook characters and the library's history will come alive! The library will be filled with a variety of "makerspace" activities, crafts for children, and displays of the library's history, as well as the notable Midtown through Our Eyes exhibit. This event will kick-off the St. Petersburg Library System's year-long celebration of the 100th birthday of our treasured Mirror Lake Community Library, while we also mark 100 years of library service to the residents and visitors of St. Petersburg, Florida.
Our Musical Stages will feature Rock, Jazz, Blues, Opera, Chamber Music, Surf, Calypso and Folk Music.
- We are presenting outstanding Jazz at the First United Methodist Church with local favorites Theo Valentin, Nate Najar and The M&M Latin Jazz Ensemble. And new this year will be a Youth Jazz Stage with performances by the Lakewood High School and PCCA Jazz Bands.
- The Plaza Courtyard is featuring Blues with the C. Carr and Bolts of Blue presented by the Ale and the Witch
- The Studio@620 will host performances by the winners of their “Tampa Bay’s Got Talent”
- The Williams Park Stage will feature edgy music from the Venture Compound.
- The St. Petersburg Opera will present favorite arias and fabulous chamber music in the Cathedral of St. Peter.
- At the St. Petersburg Museum of History groove to the steel drums of Calypso Cool.
- The Shuffleboard Club will host the sweet surf rock sounds of The Vultures.
- At the St. Petersburg Greenhouse, Office Concerts Inc. will be featuring Josh Harty and Fran Snyder playing acoustic rock music.Our Finale Stage will feature the tribal, disco, gypsy bluegrass grooves of local favorites, Urban Gypsies of Florida and we will finish the night with the bluesy gospel vocal stylings of the Betty Fox Band.
On the Dance Stage, First Night Favorites, Dundu Dole and the Florida West Ballet. And we are bringing back the very popular Latin Dancing and Lessons at the Little Latin Quarter in front of the Museum of Fine Arts.
In the Waterfront Parks, kick a soccer ball with The Rowdies Rowdies Tamika Mkandawire, Brian Shriver and Corey Hertzog will be there to meet fans and sign autographs. There will be activities and giveaways! Spin the Wheel to see what you can win! They are also bringing fun activities and prizes. Pathfinder will be leading Tree Climbing in the Banyan Tree again this year. Sign up early as it sells out quickly! New Year’s Resolutions can be made at the Resolution Bonfire and at the Resolution Fire Sculpture created by James Oleson. Strap on skates and Ice Skate at the Glice. Enjoy Projection Fun, Walk the Labyrinth, explore local History with St. Pete Preservation. Keep your eyes out for street performers and temporary tattoos and other surprises as you stroll.
Food will be available for purchase In Williams, North and South Straub Parks.